Stroke is one of the leading causes of death, hospitalization, and prescription drug use in Canada. Educating the general public about this topic can help with preventing, reversing, and managing this disease. This series of videos define strokes by looking at the two main types: ischemic and hemorrhagic, identify stroke symptoms, treatment options and lifestyle changes to reduce your stroke risk.
Music thanks to: bensound.com
This video was made by 4DM3 students Chantal Gillett, Shalini Namathirtham, Tanya Kakkar, Harris Joseph and Kahiye Warsame.
Please let us know how you liked this video and suggest additional topics for us to demystify.
Copyright McMaster University 2016
1. Burden of Stroke – World Health Organization. (n.d.). Retrieved November 13, 2016, from http://www.who.int/cardiovascular_diseases/en/cvd_atlas_15_burden_stroke.pdf?ua=1
2. Editor in Chief, Harvard Health Publications, Editor, H. H., Letter, E. E., Executive Editor, Harvard Women’s Health Watch, Executive Editor, Harvard Men’s Health Watch, & Letter, E. E. (2014). Keeping blood pressure under control reduces risk of second stroke – Harvard Health Blog. Retrieved December 01, 2016, from http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/keeping-blood-pressure-control-reduces-risk-second-stroke-201403287096
3. (2016). Retrieved November 13, 2016, from http://www.cdc.gov/Stroke/index.htm
4. Grotta, J. C., & Helgason, C. (1999). Ischemic stroke pathophysiology. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases, 8(3), 114-116. doi:10.1016/s1052-3057(99)80016-0
5. What Is a Stroke? – NHLBI, NIH. (n.d.). Retrieved November 14, 2016, from https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/stroke/
6. Cerebral Aneurysms Fact Sheet. (n.d.). Retrieved November 14, 2016, from http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/cerebral_aneurysm/detail_cerebral_aneurysms.htm
7. Types of Stroke. (n.d.). Retrieved November 14, 2016, from http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthlibrary/conditions/nervous_system_disorders/types_of_stroke_85,P00813/
8. Stroke Association: Alcohol and Stroke. (2016) (1st ed.). Retrieved from https://www.stroke.org.uk/sites/default/files/f13_alcohol_and_stroke_2_1_web.pdf
9. Stroke treatments.(2013). Retrieved November 14,2016, from http://www.strokeassociation.org/STROKEORG/AboutStroke/Treatment/Stroke-Treatments_UCM_310892_Article.jsp#.WCoCvOErLfY
10. Excessive alcohol consumption. (n.d.). Retrieved November 14, 2016, from http://www.heartandstroke.com/site/c.ikIQLcMWJtE/b.3484033/k.2811/Heart_disease__Excessive_alcohol_consumption.htm
11. Healthy eating and stroke. (2016). Retrieved November 14, 2016, from https://www.stroke.org.uk/resources/healthy-eating-and-stroke
12. Stroke Signs and Symptoms. (2015). Retrieved November 14, 2016, from http://www.cdc.gov/Stroke/signs_symptoms.htm
13. Let’s talk about Risk Factors for Stroke. (n.d.). Retrieved November 14, 2016, from http://www.strokeassociation.org/idc/groups/stroke-public/@wcm/@hcm/documents/downloadable/ucm_309713.pdf